Baccarat is a simple game that requires little from players to do but choose one out of three outcomes – a banker win, a player win or a tie. Baccarat rules are strict and as a result the game is pretty much predetermined before the cards are even dealt, but the strict baccarat rules also make it to have a low house edge (of about 1.5%) in comparison to other casino games.
In some baccarat variants the shoe passes around between players and they get to deal the cards, each casino has its own rules for baccarat but usually they don’t vary much as baccarat is a classic card game. There are baccarat variants that allow players to play as bank, which traditionally is the position of the dealer, always look for a suitable baccarat game for you. If you play internet baccarat such possibilities are more common.
The Course of the Baccarat Game
Before the game begins players must place their bets on the table, either on the “Banker” or “Player” spot in front of them (notice that when placing a bet on the banker you must pay 5% commission on all winning bets). After all bets are placed the game begins – the baccarat dealer gives two cards to the player and banker.
If either of them has a total point of 9 or 8 the game stops and the one with more points (as closest to 9) wins. If they don’t have 9 or 8 points then a third and final card is dealt, according to the baccarat rules.
The baccarat rules for a 3rd card
Player’s 3rd Card
- If the player’s total points is 5 or less he draws a third card.
- If the player has a total points of 8 or 9 then he doesn’t draw another card.
- If the player doesn’t draw another card the banker would only draw if he doesn’t have a total point bigger than 5. If the player draws a third card the following rules apply to the banker:
banker’s 3rd Card
- If the bank’s total points is 2 or less then the banker draws a third card.
- If the banks total points is 3 next the bank draws a 3rd card if not the player’s 3rd card is 8.
- If the banks total points is 4 next the bank draws a 3rd card if not the player’s third card is a 0/1/8/9.
- If the banks total points is 5 next the bank draws a 3rd card if the player’s third card is 4/5/6/7.
- If the banks total points is 6 next the bank draws a 3rd card if the player’s 3rd card is a 6/7.
- If the banks total points is 7 he doesn’t take a 3rd card and he simply stands.
In the end of each round the baccarat dealer collects bets and distributes the winnings to the players across the table.